"The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom.Though it cost all you have, get understanding."
Proverbs 4:7
There are some days that I’m not sure if I can become a doctor. Today might be one of them.
We’re just starting to learn things that have direct clinical applications. Often the differences between helping and hindering a patient’s health are very subtle. I think to myself, “I can’t ever remember this for a test, let alone to save someone’s life!”
“I don’t have the knowledge or the wisdom to do this. I wish I were a stay at home mom.”
![]() |
| My mom and dad at my white coat ceremony |
But then I think about my mom. She stayed at home with all 5 of us kids. I’m pretty sure we drove (drive) her to insanity sometimes. But despite our craziness, she (with the help of Dad, of course) has seen to it that we’re all well-behaved (for the most part), intelligent (according to some), and compassionate (most of the time) individuals. Most importantly, she has taught us to seek the Lord.
I think it must be scary to raise kids. I’m sure moms are continually wondering if they have enough wisdom and knowledge to guide their kids through the craziness of growing up.
Maybe I’ll stick with being a doctor for now.
Regardless, I need some more wisdom. It sure is a good thing that God promises to give it when we ask!
"This is what the Lord says:'Choose my instruction instead of silver,knowledge rather than choice gold,for wisdom is more precious than rubies,and nothing you desire can compare with her.'"
Prov. 8:10-11
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5

What a great tribute to your mom. There was definitely a point growing up where I was pretty sure that I would need some sort of medical degree to even begin knowing how to raise a house full of kids!
ReplyDeleteMedical school definitely has its ups and downs. But when you get to third year those random facts organize into relevant meaning and you find yourself inexplicably forming connections that took reams of paper in lecture. And it definitely helps that you know your Source of strength & have focus in the right place :-)