Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Horsepower

Jeremy got a new car last weekend after having a rental car for over a week.  His rental car was really nice, with lots of great features.  As he went through the process of picking out a new car, he found a great deal on a car that was very similar to the rental.

When he got his new car, I asked him if it was as nice as the rental, and with a slight hint of regret in his voice, he said, “No.”

I asked what was different, and he talked about the various upgrades that the rental had- the stereo, the seats, etc.  But the biggest difference to him was the size of the motor.  Apparently the rental had a much bigger motor.  

“What’s the point of having a bigger motor if you’re not legally supposed to push it to its maximal potential?  It’s no big deal to have a smaller motor, right?”

He looked at me and shook his head, as if I had no idea what I was saying.

My good lookin' guy and his good lookin' car


This Sunday at church, the pastor reminded us of the amazing privilege Christians have to be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit.  He brought out the point that we often forget about what we have inside us, and thus don’t take advantage of it.

As I sat in my pew, I thought to myself that containing the Holy Spirit is kind of like housing a big ole' V6 engine.

Just as you would miss out if you had a big engine in your car and never experienced its acceleration and speed, having access to the Holy Spirit within you and never tapping into His power limits our capabilities to live for Jesus Christ.


Here are a few of my favorite verses about the purpose and workings of the Holy Spirit.  Feel free to add your own in the comments section!  Perhaps by recognizing His power as seen in Scripture, we will be able to participate in this wonderful gift more fully!


“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth.  The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him.  But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you… All this I have spoken while still with you.  But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”  John 14: 16-17, 26

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.  After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.”  Acts 2:7-8

“And you also were included with Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation.  Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession – to the praise of his glory.”  Ephesians 1:13-14

“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.”  Romans 8:26

“We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.  To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.”  Colossians 1:29

“What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.  Guard the good deposit that was entrusted you – guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.”  2 Timothy 1:13-14

3 comments:

  1. First of all, you have no friends :( Why is this? Second of all, I love this verse: John 20:22, "And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.' " Just like God breathes physical breath into us, Jesus breathed on the disciples.
    Romans 8:11, "And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no friends? I am confused. I have lots of friends... I think.

    Thanks for sharing verses, Alissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! Of course you have friends Cat, but your little friends box on your blog was empty (or it was appearing empty?). Does that make sense? Today, it is filled with your followers. I am freak. :)

    ReplyDelete