Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the once forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see”
As I work for Graham Medical Group this summer, this song keeps running through my head. I see so many patients and their family members on a daily basis. One patient confided to me just last week that he can’t understand why I would want to go into a profession in the healthcare field. I must have looked puzzled, because he went on to explain how depressed he is whenever he comes into the clinic. He can’t stand to be surrounded by somber-faced adults and crying kids. I guess people are rarely at their finest when they come into a doctor’s office. I suppose it would be easy for me to mechanically parade in and out of the patient rooms, systematically taking vitals and writing down histories, however, that is not possible when one constantly prays the above song by Brandon Heath. Patients stop looking grouchy and mean, and start to appear scared and uncertain. They cease to be just another face and become a person in need of a smile and light conversation to set their mind at ease. They are no longer strangers, but simply are friends that I haven’t gotten to know yet. I have the opportunity to lay a comforting hand on a shoulder, to walk a little slower next to a walker, to rejoice in a treatment that’s working, to coo over a newborn baby.
The song that I sang at church for Father’s Day has a similar theme. Father’s Eyes by Amy Grant is written from the perspective of a girl who wants to see the world through her Father’s eyes. I sang:
“When people look inside my life, I want to hear them say:
She's got her Father's eyes, her Father's eyes
Eyes that find the good in things, When good is not around.
Eyes that find the source of help, When help just can't be found.
Eyes full of compassion, seeing every pain.
Knowin' what you're going through, and feeling it the same.
Just like my Father's eyes, my Father's eyes, my Father's eyes
Just like my Father's eyes.”
I happen to have the same hazel eyes as my daddy, but this song is obviously not talking about an earthly father or anatomical eyes. She wants to see the world through her Heavenly Father’s eyes. I am blessed because my dad sees the world through his Father’s eyes, and has taught me to do the same. My dad is one of those people who looks for the good in everyone. He loves helping people. There have been so many snow days that he has had off from school that he’s popped out of bed, and has driven around town looking for people who might need help shoveling. He does this whether he knows them or not, whether they’ll pay him or not. And that’s just one example.
My dad sees the world through his Father’s eyes, and it is through his example and encouragement that it is almost natural for me to look through my Heavenly Father’s eyes.
Dear Daddy,
Thank you for setting an example to me in showing compassion to those around you. I will be able to be a better doctor, student, friend, and woman because of the example you have set for me. I love you!
Love,
Catherine
No comments:
Post a Comment