Last week, Jeremy told me that he thinks that the purpose of each of our desires here on earth is to cause us to long for something greater, something we have to look forward to in our heavenly home. I think he was talking about getting crowns in heaven... but I started thinking, "Does this potentially mean that one day I too will be able to fly?"
One of my favorite poems by Emily Dickinson describes hope as a thing with wings. The poem reads,
“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.”
(“Hope is the Thing with Feathers” by Emily Dickinson)
Last week in Sunday School as our teacher was leading us in a discussion of 2 Corinthians 4 and 5, he made the observation that throughout the joys and difficulties of life, Christians always have hope. According to the end of chapter 4, this is because we don't have to focus on the trials of today, but we can look forward to our hope that will come. He made the bold statement that living without hope might as well be hell on earth.
Hope. It’s necessary to have. But what is it? The online Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the action of hoping as “to cherish a desire with anticipation.” This definition brings to mind a Scripture that has been ridiculously encouraging to me the past few months.
Romans 5:1-5 says, “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”
Hope. According to this passage, we gain it because of our justification through faith. It's so sure that we're given permission to boast in it. We know that suffering won't take away our hope- it will only make it stronger. Hope doesn't disappoint us, not because we always get what we "hope" for, but because the love of God is continually being poured out on us through His Spirit! THAT is hope.
Hope... to cherish with anticipation... What we hope in will not disappoint... We are to fix our eyes on (or hope for) what is unseen, not what is seen... God gives us desires so that we'll long for our heavenly home...
Perhaps the Lord knew that we would have a fascination with flight. Maybe that’s why King David described God as a thing with wings as well. He said of God, “He will cover you with his feathers,and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” (Psalm 91:4)
Moths, hope, refuge... it's funny what things my brain ties together some days...
Maybe it's just a startling realization, like Sara Groves' song says,
"Hope has a way of turning its face to you just when you least expect it. You walk in a room , you look out a window [or in my case, walk into a parking lot] and something there leaves you breathless. You say to yourself, 'it's been a while since I felt this but it feels like it might be hope.'"
No matter how strange it is, I like being reminded of hope.
Lord, Thank You for giving me a hope in what is eternal. Give me eyes to see the unseen. What a strange paradox, but You have called me to it. Please teach me not to invest so much "hope" in the temporary things that will disappoint, like tests and deadlines. Thank You for Your love which continually pours out on me. Thank You for covering me with Your wings, especially now as I run to You in refuge. I echo the Psalmist as he praises, “Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.” (Psalm 63:7) Thank You for all Your winged creatures and for the wonder and amazement that they bring. Will I get to fly in heaven? If so, that would be awesome. If not, I guess I’ll be content to marvel at the angels.
I love you.
Catherine
Fun to read! I love those verses too.
ReplyDeleteWe spent the evening with Mr. Joshu and Roy White. Remember the guy who built the balsa airplane that looked like a dragonfly when it flew? It was great to see both of them again! He has some of his flights on youtube! Look under Roy White indoor flying, when you have some spare time! Right! Love, Mom