It's been three years since I first found out that not everyone has clean water to drink. It has been three years since I began learning and praying and researching. In some ways, it feels as though I'm putting my burden on hold by coming to medical school, but I know that this is a part of God's plan for me. I'm just not sure how He's going to put it all together yet.
This year for World Water Week (March 20-26), I have the opportunity to participate in ATSU-UNICEF's Tap Project, which brings together communities and local restaurants to raise money to provide clean water sources in high need areas of the world.
I haven't had much time to reflect in writing, but here are a few of the reflections from the past few years:
World Water Week 2010:
Are You Thirsty?
Are you thirsty Catherine?Would you like some water to drink?There’s a shelf stacked with sealed bottles,There’s a tap running free.
Would you like a drink of water?
Are you sweaty Catherine?Would you like to take a shower?It is so refreshing, running down your face,Taking all the dirt and grime away.
Would you like to rinse the filth off?
Would you wash your hands before you eat Catherine?Can you scrub them up really well?There’s a meal preparedAnd the table’s set.
Would you wash your hands real good?
Will you give me a glass of water Catherine?Will you wash My dirty feet?Will you lay a table before Me,Even if My hands aren’t clean?
Would you serve the least of these,If the least of these was Me?
In 2002, 1.1 billion people lacked access to improved water sources, which represented 17% of the global population.
1.8 million people die every year from diarrheal diseases (including cholera); 90% are children under 5, mostly in developing countries. This translates to one child dying from a water-related illness every 21 seconds.
More than 2.7 billion people (about 42% of the world’s population) have inadequate or nonexistent access to proper sanitation, over half of which live in China and India.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’” Matthew 25:34-40
Initial Reflections 2009: May I have a drink?
Here's something I tried to do to help (2010-2011, present): LotsofDrops.org
There are so many great organizations and resources out there! I encourage you to use Lots of Drops or Google as a launch pad and empower yourself for the sake of children around the world!
Happy Water Week!
No comments:
Post a Comment