“When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” -Billy Crystal as Harry in When Harry Met Sally
I’m kind of over this whole long distance relationship thing. Now that Jeremy and I are engaged, I’m just ready to be married. I’m impatient.
I’m kind of over this whole long distance relationship thing. Now that Jeremy and I are engaged, I’m just ready to be married. I’m impatient.
*sigh*
Only 224 days…
Some of the girls at school and I have been studying the book of Philippians, and last week we looked at verses 19-26 of chapter 1. Paul is writing to the people of Philippi from prison, and he has been encouraging them in the faith, has shared some of the ways God has been working while he has been in prison, and now he is acknowledging their prayers for his deliverance. When he speaks of deliverance, he starts to think about his ultimate deliverance- to be with Christ. He says,
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far...”
He longed to be with Christ. It’s so clear from his language in this passage! He’d rather be with Christ, the one he loves. I can commiserate. I’d rather be with the one I love too, and sometimes being in medical school feels like a prison. However, Paul knows that it’s not what God has for him right now, as he says,
“…but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain…”
He’s sticking around because of his love for his friends. Earlier in the chapter, he encourages the Philippian believers,
“being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
He’s so sure that Christ has a purpose for them that will be carried out. Clearly he has a glimpse of his own purpose as well, and it seems that the two are combined:
“Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.”
Holy smokes! That’s a pretty bold and specific purpose. His very presence on earth, through his travel and letters, his preaching and other interactions, would bring about a greater joy in Christ in his friends. That’s dynamic. That’s purpose enough to delay being with Christ a little longer. That’s purpose enough to follow with abandon.
I have a purpose for putting off marrying Jeremy. I have 7ish months left of classroom time. And this isn’t a jail. I signed up for it. I’m even paying for it. It’s helping me fulfill my purpose.
However, my purpose is more expansive than just going to medical school to become a doctor, or even to become Jeremy’s wife. My purpose ought to be the same as that of Paul- that through my being here, others' joy in Christ Jesus will overflow. I wonder what my relationships would look like if that was my goal? I wonder if I even have enough time to see anything like that happen here? I only have 7ish months left in this town…
It really is all how you look at it, isn’t it?
Lord Jesus,
I want to long to be with you as Paul did. I want to figure out how to cause others not only to look to you, but to experience your overflowing joy. I want to be with Jeremy, but mostly, I want to be content where you have me. Teach me, O Lord.
To quote the apostle in a paraphrase, “I can do everything, for it is You who gives me strength.”
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment