Sunday, April 1, 2012

Candles

I love candles.  I have them in every room of my apartment.  Granted, my apartment is small.  But still.  I have lots of candles.  When I get stressed (which, unfortunately is often), I like to light one or two.  The flicker of the flame and the wafting scent calm my strung out nerves.

I couldn’t help but think of a few mentions of small light sources in the New Testament.
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”  Matthew 5:14-16

My candles in my apartment serve to merely boost the ambience of the room.  They really don’t serve their purpose of bringing light. 
At our cabin, however, we have no electricity.  We rely on candles and lanterns to light up the room once the sun has set.
In the same way, we who know Christ are to be small flames.  If we merely congregate in places of light, we bring small comfort and boost the overall ambience of the area, but do we fulfill our purpose?
Jesus set the ultimate example.  He was the light that “shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” (John 1:5)

May my little corner of darkness be illuminated by the light of Christ in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment