It is still true. We
are going to be married in less than 3 weeks.
We can do anything for three weeks.
But now I’m experiencing the stress and pressure that we foresaw.
My shoulders are perpetually scrunched up to my ears. My brain feels super saturated with material
that I have (and haven’t) learned in my past two years in a medical school
classroom. By day, I puuuuuush all my
excitement, checklists, and worries about our wedding back in order to cram in
page by page the information that I will have to regurgitate in six short days. At night, I lie awake,
oscillating from being giddy with excitement to being paralyzed with fear.
“I’m
going to be a bride!”
“I’m
going to be a bride?”
“I’m
going to be a wife!”
“I’m
going to be a wife?”
I rush, rush, rush to get to school in the morning. I carefully time my lunch break, and
overestimate how much housework I can get done in that time frame. I cram, cram, cram until dinner. Then I eat, and force myself through yet
another practice test (which I will probably fail) and yet another study guide
(which I’m not sure if I’ll remember).
When my brain can’t handle it any more, then I turn to wedding
plans. As you can imagine, by that
point, I am not only at my saturation point for academics, but also for
emotions, planning, and organization.
Poor Jeremy.
Today, I was particularly discouraged and tense. A few things didn’t quite go the way I had
hoped. I was extremely irritated with
the rush. Angry that I am struggling to
savor the preparations of our marriage.
A Bible verse from my past flitted through my mind, almost
softer than a whisper:
“He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.’” -Psalm 46:10
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.’” -Psalm 46:10
“I don’t have time to be still right now,
God. I don’t. Can't you see that I’m late again? How am I supposed to be still?”
At intervals throughout my afternoon, the
verse would make another pass through the corners of my mind.
Before long, I began to make a list. A list of the areas of my life right now that
have left me feeling tense. A list of
the areas in which God is sovereign. In
which He has the opportunity to be exalted.
It's the same list.
God is in control of my studying, my
budgeting of my time. He is Lord over my
exam scores. He is in control of where
those exam scores will take me. God is
King of the land and the sea, and therefore, He reigns over the stretch of road
that separates me from my new home.
God is sovereign over our wedding. He will see to it that the weather is
acceptable, even if that means changing my view of acceptable weather. He is Lord over my Mom’s blood pressure. He is the God who is overseeing my Grandpa’s
radiation treatments, and my sister’s grad school application. It is He who makes the flowers grow, even the
flowers in my Dad’s garden. If he
clothes them in all their finery, how much more will He care for me? He will be exalted in the gifts offered by so
many who are giving graciously of their time and talents so see that our
wedding is wonderful. He is the author
of the joining of two families. Of two
people.
Tonight, I am choosing to be still. I made dinner. And I ate it.
I packed a few things. I tried on
my dress for the wedding reception. I
twirled around the room, pretending I was dancing with my groom. I studied, attempting to maintain the
attitude of stillness.
You might ask, how is it that you are
remaining still?
It’s all relative, really. In the grand scheme of things, God is the one
who is moving.
We need only to be still.
“The
Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." –Exodus 14:14
I'm glad you took the time to dance before God. I'm praying for you over the next few weeks!
ReplyDelete