"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3
I've recently started attending a spinning class. Now when I first heard of this, I thought to myself, "How hard can it be?"
For those of you who have never tried spinning, it's basically an intense cardio workout on exercise bikes. It's an intense hour! I don't sweat easily, and this class definitely causes me to glisten. It's a great class. We have an enthusiastic instructor who makes it really fun, and there are some great girls in the class. However, while I'm in class, I can't wait for it to be over. I watch the clock. My legs burn. My butt hurts. Ow. I can't stop though, because I've made a commitment to going to this class Tuesdays and Thursdays this quarter. I also really look forward to lowering my resting heart rate as the result of the cardio, and maybe even a more toned pair of legs ;)
I think I've been viewing med school kinda like I view my spinning class. It's good. We have great teachers and awesome classmates, but really, it's painful. Some days I just can't wait for these two years to be done. I look forward to having the knowledge to bring healing... and also that awesome title of "Dr. Catherine."
I'd just like to automatically have a really awesome resting pulse (and sexy legs), but it takes work to get there. Luckily for me, I've found a really great class that will help me accomplish my goal.
Likewise, I'd love to naturally be gifted with the knowledge that it takes to be a physician, but it takes work to get there. I am blessed to have been placed at a school that will rigorously bring me through my studies in a way that can inspire awe and wonder.
Lord, please help me not to wish the moments away. Allow me to see Your handiwork in each lecture and study session. Open my eyes to see these two years as a wonderful gift. Teach me to make every second count, not only for my studies, but most importantly, for Your kingdom. Give me the discipline and "muscle tone" to see this through to the end with excellence. And please, Father, make me stronger with time.
rock on, ride on!
ReplyDeletehere's one of my fave quotes of all time:
light, cheap, strong. pick two.
Bontrager (bike frame builder)