This past weekend, I found myself wondering (as I often do) how any of us are here and functional. Every time I sit through an Embryology lecture, I freak out a little at all of the possible deformities that can (and do) happen in utero. I’m amazed at the fact that we all have all of our parts! In Biochemistry, we’re studying the molecular basis of cancer. It’s so bizarre to think that there are so many little tiny mutations that can cause such widespread, common illnesses. Yet it doesn’t happen to everyone. In Physiology, we’re learning about the intricacies of blood pressure and the importance of fine regulation. Even the slightest malfunction can have extremely serious consequences.
Health problems can be of many varieties and can be broken down into many categories. They can be chronic- dragging out over a long period of time. They can also be acute- sudden scares. Just this weekend, my friend Laura (my wonderful boyfriend’s wonderful mom) was rushed to the hospital for what could have been a very sudden and serious problem. Thankfully, it seems that the doctors have caught it on time, and she should be fine with time and medication.
Our flesh is fragile and unpredictable. It is a wonder that any of us are here and functional! I started working on memorizing Philippians 3 this week, and this theme of the uncertainty of our bodies was addressed:
“For it is we who put no confidence in the flesh”
As a medical student and as a general observer on planet earth, I’m pretty sure there’s not a lot of reason to put confidence in the flesh. I mean, the justified lack of confidence that we have in our flesh is my job security.
Somehow, I don’t think that the apostle Paul is talking about the general state of the health of man in Philippians 3. Here’s a little bit more context:
3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh—
He’s talking about it as if it’s a good thing! Crazy. He then goes on to quote his qualifications for confidence in his particular piece of flesh and status in life, and goes on to say,
7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ…
The sake of Christ. That seems to be the placement of his confidence. Not only has he considered his flesh to be of little value, but also all of his earthly achievements. Let me tell you, but the standards of his culture and his time, he was quite an accomplished man. However, he considered it all a loss compared to the surpassing worth of knowing Christ.
...I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
No confidence in the flesh, but only a daring confidence that seeking after Jesus Christ, even to the point of death would bring the truest form of fulfillment that this life has to offer.
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
We have learned through experience not to have confidence in the flesh. Or at least very little. There are birth defects and cancers and sudden scary hospital trips. Praise God, that through faith in His Son, we can have confidence in something that is worth even risking our very flesh in pursuit.
We, as Christians, have a unique perspective. Life is precious. Yes, it is precious because of the frailty of the flesh that we have, but more so because of the joy of the pursuit of Christ that we have while we are present in this body.
May we use our time in the flesh to press on in this race, chasing after the prize for which God has called us heavenward.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:26
thank you for this catherine.
ReplyDeleteyou are beautiful.
did i tell you my blog address moved?
floopscoop.blogspot now.