Friday, February 11, 2011

Spirituality in Medicine

Catherine W
Society 6
February 11, 2011

Think about your practice 15 years from now.  How do you believe patient spirituality will be an integral aspect of your clinical practice?

Some have described religion and spirituality as a crutch for the weak.  In a sense, I think that this is true.  I chose to enter the field of medicine to serve the weak and the broken.  Crutches are needed by the broken, not by those who are well.  We all have needs- physical, mental, and spiritual, and each must be addressed in varying degrees with each patient.  Fulfillment of needs that are spiritual in nature are unique for many reasons, and because of the following reasons, I will seek to offer spiritual care as an important clinical modality.  

As physicians, we will attempt to cheat death as often as possible; however, it is often unavoidable.  As a Christian, I believe that spiritual fulfillment is the only component of whole-person care that will last after death.  When it comes to my patients’ last breaths, I want to ensure that they are prepared, which I will actively participate in, or in the least, have a chaplain on referral.  My goal would be that my patients are not only physically comfortable in their last days, but also at peace within their spirit.

I do not believe that spirituality is merely a preparation to pass into the next life, but it also has merit for the present.  Spirituality gives purpose and meaning.  I have experienced this myself, having been changed through a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Because of this, I delight in sharing my faith story and about the hope I have found.  I want to be able to do this respectfully and tactfully with my patients because I recognize that I will serve people from many walks of life and from many religious backgrounds.  Discussions on what the patients find to provide purpose and meaning in life can bring tremendous impact to their healing process.  I also think that engaging patients in conversations about their faith can provide a bridge of trust between myself and my patients.  I have experienced hope and peace, which are vital elements to people who in the midst of health problems need all the hope and peace that can be offered.  Who would I be to withhold it from them?

Studies have shown that prayer and faith have positive effects on the healing of many illnesses.  I have seen miraculous healings in my life that I believe can only be attributed to a Greater Power.  In a field that is based on science, this type of phenomenon can be hard to believe.  However, the studies seem to suggest that patients who have faith exhibit increased probability of recovery and overall quality of life.  I hope that through my faith and prayer, I would be able to see miracles in my clinic- both those of modern medicine and of the supernatural.  I want my clinic to be a place of comfort, encouragement, and healing, and I believe that by providing an avenue to discuss and resolve spiritual issues, an important element is brought to patient care. 

 “On hearing this, Jesus said to them, ‘It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.’” Mark 2:17, Holy Bible, NIV Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment