Sunday, April 1, 2012

Wave Pool

(written in January, 2012)

The waves dance playfully around my ankles.  “Come in and play!” is what they seem to say.  I waded deeper into the pool.  I dislike cold water, but I knew my body would get used to it soon.

Too cold.  Not cold enough for my body to get used to it quickly.  Without going numb, that is.
Whoops!  The waves are getting bigger.  They’re just generated by a machine.  They’re predictable.  However, they caught me by surprise.   Thrown off balance, I stumbled into a fellow wave pool swimmer.  He was less than pleased.  Just a little tipsy.  That’s all I got.  I was fine, really.  He just didn’t think so.
So I waded in deeper.  Foolish to go back now.  The people around me squeal with delight as another wave comes- bigger this time.  They are poised and ready.  I think I am, yet I truly am not.
You see, I was able to touch the bottom moments ago.  I was in a place where my feet were secure.  Yet, as the waves grow bigger, I seem to shrink smaller.  This next one looks like its about to crash over my head.
Choke!  Cough!  Sputter!  Now I struggle to keep my head above the water.  I’ve been carried by the powerful, yet artificial current into the deep end of the pool.  
Each time I go under, I spend a little bit more time beneath the surface, and less time with my face above the water.  I might not be strong enough for this.
Stupid wave pool.
Strong hands lift me up by my elbows, forcing me to the surface.  They’re going under too.  But somehow they always make it back to the surface- even while assisting me.  A swift grab on my swimsuit was what it took the next time to bring me above the water.  Slightly uncomfortable, but at least I got a good breath of air.

Okay.  Here’s the game plan.  All you have to do is ride this thing for another 5 months, keep breathing, and dog paddle with a little bit greater frequency with every passing moment.  Then, at the very end, you’re going to need to rise up out of the waves and surf.  Then, the waves will die down, and you’ll be able to breathe for a few minutes.  And don’t forget to look great in your bathing suit. 
Then, because this is a synthetic wave pool, the waves will come crashing again.
Only, this time, you’ll be a little stronger.  You’ll be the one pushing people up out of the water.  And you’ll be able to keep your head up as well.

You’ll make it.
You always do.

But that doesn’t make the waves any less scary.


No comments:

Post a Comment